“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Friday, March 03, 2006

Eighteen Chapters so far

The Break is moving along nicely, I think. Chapter 17 and Chapter 18 are the first two that I wrote from scratch. I realized that I haven't told you anything about this book.

I started writing this book in August of 2001. Originally, the bomber's motivation for blowing up the Pepsi Center was that he was very upset with the U.S. Federal Government. It was the bomber's opinion that Timothy McVeigh got a raw deal and since it happened in Denver, then the people in Denver had to pay.

I made pretty good progress on The Break up until September 11. For a while, I couldn't write much of anything. The one thing I did at that time was change the motivation of the bomber and I created the idea of "the evil" Then I just lost interest. For a while, I started another project that is a fictional story based on my own life. But I just didn't feel it.

What I did write was some introspective poetry that is very personal. I shared one of the poems The Kiss. Personally, I think this is the best one I wrote. Since I threw out my best and didn't get any comments, I decided that the rest will remain on my computer.

Now that I am writing full force again, I have changed a few things in the story. But it hasn't been significant. One of the things about reading a work in progress is that I am trying to get the story out as fast as I can. You may have noticed that I haven't spent much time editing. Additionally, as I am working I get off on some tangents and I change story details. For instance, In Chapter 17 when Schnieder asked for a beer while he was driving, Pete told him to "Fuck Off". But when I was writing Chapter 18, I remembered that Ronnie had decided to stop drinking and smoking pot. To make it seem a little more real, I wanted to put an O'Douls in his hand. Once I made that addition, I thought I would have Pete offer Schnieder an O'Douls. That way, I could fit in all the comments I hear when I offer one of my friends an O'Douls.


Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Eighteen Chapters so far"

 

Blogger Whetam Gnauckweirst said ... (11:09 PM) : 

It's hard-going writing a book. Looks like you're making excellent progress. Keep up the great work!

 

post a comment