“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Break - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

In the two weeks since her sister’s arrival, Anita was able to great strides regaining her energetic personality. After the cathartic release she experienced crying on her sister’s shoulder, they began to get Anita’s affairs in order. Together they thoroughly cleaned her apartment and paid all of her past due bills. For the first time in months, Anita dared to venture outside the confines of her apartment.

As she stepped out the door on to the sidewalk walk, she inhaled deeply. The crisp winter air stung her lungs, but it felt good. Actually, it felt fantastic. It was as if her sister’s presence brought a rebirth. Once again she felt alive. A smile formed on her face.

“You look good, Nitti.” Elena said. “Much better than the last couple of days.”

“Oh, Lena.” Anita replied. “I am so much better. I actually feel alive again.”

“That’s good…good.” Her older sister said reassuringly as she placed her hand on Anita’s arm. “Let’s go get some lunch.

The pair walked the four blocks to the restaurant side-by-side with their arms linked. Neither spoke the entire time. Anita feeling the effects of having her senses reawakened. Elena had something else on her mind.

“Table for two?” The hostess asked.

“Yes, please.” Anita replied. “Can we have a booth by the window?”

“I think I can do that for you.”

The hostess lead the sisters to a booth that looked out on to the street. She waited while they removed their coats and sat down. Then the hostess placed the menu in front of them.

“Our lunch special today is a hazelnut crusted Mahi Mahi and our soup is a sweet tomato basil. Can I bring you a cocktail or something else to drink?”

“I’ll have a Diet Coke.” Said Anita.

“Me, too.” Elena agreed.

“Your server today will be Chad.” The hostess continued with her saccharine sweet restaurant hostess voice.

Anita recognized the tone. It was very similar to her on-air voice. A flood of memories rushed over her and she felt a pang of sadness. Unconisiously, she felt sorry for herself pity. But she was not going to indulge the self pity. Not today. Enough was enough it was time to move past it. Having checked the inclination to sink down into depression, she turned her head slightly and looked into her sister’s eyes. For the first time since Elena came to her rescue, Anita noticed the pained look on her face.

“Lena?” Anita said. “Are you okay?”

“Oh, yes Nitti.” She replied unconvincingly.

“You always were a terrible liar.” Anita said. “What’s wrong.”

Her sister looked down at her hands in her lap and suddenly her shoulders began shaking as soundless tears became to run from her eyes.

“What is it?” Anita asked as she reached out and put her hand on top of her sister’s.

“It’s Jorge.” She wept.

Before Anita could say anything, she was interrupted by a very annoying overly friendly voice.

“Hi there. I’m Chad.” The voice said. “Have you ladies had a chance to look at the menu or do you need a few more minutes.”

“I think we need some time, please.” Anita said a little too briskly.

The waiter gave her the standard “what a bitch” stare that has been perfected by wait staff since the first café opened on the banks of the Tigris River. He walked away determined to give them the level of service they deserved.

“What’s with Jorge?” Anita asked. “Is he sick?”

“No, the bastard is not sick.” Elena said. “He ran off with that … that … punta.”

Anita was doubly shocked. First, she was not accustomed to hearing her sister use such strong language. Second, and more importantly, the news that her brother-in-law had left her sister for another woman was beyond belief. They had been so happy from such a young age. They raised their kids and seemed to be living an ideal life. At least it seemed so the last time Anita saw her sister five years ago.

“What? Jorge?” Anita asked. “He left.”

“Yes, he left.” She spat. “Just so he could fuck her. That little bitch.”

“Elena!” Anita cautioned her older sibling.

“I can’t help it. I ate that little punta more than you can imagine.” Elena continued. “May she die and rot in hell.”

Seeing her sister suffering, Anita knew it was her turn to provide support. She picked up her water glass and took a drink as she tried to decide what to say next.

“Do you know this woman?” She asked.

“Know her? Of course I know her.” Elena said viciously. “It’s Maria.”

“Our sister, Maria?” Anita asked in disbelief. “Oh my God.”

“You see why I hate her?” Elena continued. “The little bitch stole her own sister’s husband.”

“What about Michael?” Anita asked.

“He left.” Elena stated flatly and then added in a not-so-nice tone. “Just after you did.”

While the sisters were engaged in their conversation, they did not notice that two gentlemen had been seated in the booth directly behind Anita.

“It gets worse.” Elena continued. “That bitch convinced Rebecca that I made Jorge leave.”

“What?” Questioned Anita totally stunned.

“So, that’s why I came to see you.” Elena said. “Then when I saw how you were living I decided that if I helped you I wouldn’t have to think about them.”

Anita barely heard what her sister was saying. Her attention was drawn to the conversation behind her.

“Why would I blow up the Pepsi Center?” Ron said. “I told you, it was that Frankie guy.”

“Frankie?” The other voice asked. “Who’s Frankie?”

“Frankie, you know the guy I shot.” Ron said. “Jesus Christ, what kind of reporter are you? I am trying to give you an exclusive and you aren’t even listening to me.”

Anita’s head was spinning. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Feeling her blood begin to boil, she knew what was happening. It was the familiar feeling she always got when a story was presenting itself. Her reporter sense told her that this wasn’t just some story. This could actually be the story. The story that could make up for her debacle the night it happened. The story behind the big story. The story that could bring her back. She couldn’t believe her luck. For some reason, they had chosen this restaurant on this day. Right behind her was Ron Harrison, the man accused of blowing up the Pepsi Center. This couldn’t just be luck.

“… so I say, Maria you take him.” Elena was saying. “Nitti, are you listening to me?”

“Of course, I am.” Anita said. “You told Maria to go ahead and take him.”

“Yes, and …” Elena went back to her story confident that she had her sister’s attention.

Anita continued listening to the conversation behind her. She could tell by the tone of his voice that Ron was getting impatient. The other was barely listening.

“What a dumbass.” Anita thought. “This guy is sitting on the biggest story to ever hit Denver, maybe even the country and he is blowing the guy off. And for what? A free lunch?”

Chad returned and took their order. The sisters continued through lunch with Elena pouring her heart out to her sister. The entire time, Anita was listening to Ron’s story. Even more convinced that he had a story, she began to formulate how she could get separation from Elena without appearing to be unsupportive. Her sister had help her over the past two weeks and she want to reciprocate. But she wanted this story. No, she had to have this story.

Finally she decided that she would wait until Ron left, excuse herself and follow him. She could do it. Her confidence building on the scent of the story, she knew that she could do it and not hurt Elena’s feelings.

“So, is it okay if I stay with you for a while?” Elena asked nervously.

“Oh course Lena.” Anita said compassionately. “You can stay as long as you want. I am here for you.

Just as she finished, Ron stood up and walked toward the door. Everything about him betrayed his frustration with his lunch companion.

“Hey, Lena.” Anita said. “I just remembered that I was supposed to go by the station and get my stuff and I never did.”

“Okay, I’ll go with you.” Elena responded.

This could have been a problem, but Anita had already anticipated her offer.

“I don’t know Lena.” Anita started as she started to get up. “It could get a little weird.”

“I suppose.” Elena agreed. “So, I’ll see you back at the apartment?”

“Yeah.” She replied as she put on her coat and hurried out the door.

Once she was out on the sidewalk, it only took her a few seconds to spot Ron. He was so big that he stood out in a crowd. She stepped up her pace. Luckily, he had to pause at a crosswalk.

“Excuse me, Mr. Harrison.” Anita called out.

He turned and looked at her. His expression told her that he did recognize her, but the couldn’t place the context.

“Hi, I’m Anita Sanchez.” Anita said. “I use to be the anchor on News 4.”

“Oh, that’s why you look so familiar.” Ron said. “What can I do for you.”

“Well, I am doing the freelance thing now.” Anita explained. “I noticed that no one has gotten your story out yet. I was wondering if you would be interested in talking to me.”

“Interested?” He asked. “When do we start?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the bus rolled down the highway, Ass and Ben retired to the back so that they could continue their conversation in private. Ronnie, Pete and Schnieder stayed at the front.

“Hey, you know what time it is?” Pete asked. “420, baby.”

“Oh, yeah.” Schnieder agreed as he reached into the breast pocket of his t-shirt. “Already have one rolled.”

Pete stood up and took the joint from Schnieder’s hand and in one motion he placed it between his lips and lit it. Inhaling deeply, he filled his lungs with smoke. Then he passed the joint to Schnieder.

“So, you still not smoking.” Pete asked Ronnie as he expelled a copious amount of smoke.

“Dude, it’s not like I’m taking a break.” Ronnie responded. “We had this conversation after that show in Grand Junction. If we are going to make it, I gotta be sober.”

Pete waited for Schnieder to finish inhaling and pass the joint back to him.

“Jesus, Schnieder you gonna fuck that joint after you get done making out with it?” Pete asked sarcastically.

Schnieder just passed it back without responding. After a moment of silence, Pete jumped as a thought ran through his head.

“Did I tell you guys my idea for making us millionaires?” He asked the other two.”

“Become rock stars?” Schnieder asked.

“Well, that and…” He paused for effect. “Fabreeze disposable underwear.”

Completely taken by surprise, Ronnie and Schnieder burst out laughing.

“What the fuck?” Ronnie exclaimed.

““Fabreeze disposable underwear.” He repeated as he handed the joint to Schnieder. “Think about it. Every time you fart it smells like Fabreeze.”

“And that is desirable?” Ronnie questioned.

Pete took the joint back. Considered it, took a hit, blew out the smoke and handed it back to Schnieder.

“Yeah, think about it.” Pete explained. “You can fart with impunity. No one will ever smell it.”

“But why disposable?” Ronnie asked.

“It’s not like I haven’t thought this through, dude.” He continued. “The Fabreeze would wash out.”

“Good point.” Ronnie said.

“Yeah and you could have pine scented, too.” Schnieder added.

Ronnie and Pete just looked at each other. Schnieder just missed the point of things sometimes. There was a pregnant pause.

“So, whaddya think about Ass and Ben?” Pete asked.

“Crazy.” Ronnie responded. “Never thought we’d have a conversation like that.”

“Straight up.” Schnieder added.

“Think they’ll hook up?” Pete continued.

“They pretty much already have, doncha think?” Ronnie answered the question with one of his own. “You okay with it if they do?

“Why would I care, dude?” Pete responded. “Ben’s always been gay and that didn’t matter.”

“I hear ya.” Ronnie said.
The conversation was overtaken by another lull. Once again a random thought popped into Pete’s brain.

“Sup with you and that Annie?”

“Aw, dude.” Ronnie replied. “It’s really been bumming me out. That’s why I been in such a shit mood on this trip.”

“You guys split up?” Pete asked.

“Not sure.” Ronnie respond. “Okay here’s the deal. Strap in, this is going to take a while.”

“Okay, shoot.” Pete said.

Pete settled in on the couch and awaited Ronnie’s story.

“Okay, so we are getting on the other night.” Ronnie started. “We’ve never done it before, right. But things are getting hot and she doesn’t stop me. So, I reach down and feel and she’s not real wet right. So I reach in my pocket and get some KY.

“You keep KY in your pocket?” Pete asked.

“Well, yeah.” Ronnie replied. “If I think I might have sex. If there’s one thing I got from my old man, it’s his dick.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” Pete responded. “The infamous Harrison pecker. Better not be flashing that in front of the boys back there.”

“Jesus, dude.” Ronnie admonished.

“It’s a fucking joke.” Pete said defensively.

“Whatever.” Ronnie said then continued. “So, I put on the KY. And I slide it in and she just stiffens up. Which again, I am used to because, you know.”

“Yeah, the pecker.” Pete said as he rolled his eyes.

“Anyway, I figure she’ll loosen up in a minute after I get going. It never happens.”

“So, what did you do?” Pete asked.

“Well, I finished.” Ronnie continued. “But here’s where it gets weird. She starts balling her eyes out. Not just a little. I mean, like sobs.”

“What the fuck?” Pete asked.

Ronnie stood up, stretched and walked over to the refrigerator. He opened the door and extracted a bottle of water.

“Here’s where the story gets really fucked up.” Ronnie said. “She tells me that she was a virgin, which I didn’t know.”

“A 22-year old virgin.” Schnieder said. “Are you fucking kidding me?”

“No, but it gets even harder to believe.” Ronnie said. “She told me why she was still a virgin.”

Ronnie evaluated whether or not he wanted to tell the story. Looking at his two friends he decided it would be for the best.

“So, her old man gets knocked off in Desert Storm.” Ronnie said. “And when Mom gets over it, she remarries. Well, Annie likes the dude, too. And not like a daddy. Anyway, mom goes on a trip and Annie decides to seduce her step dad.

“Holy shit.” Pete said. “How old was she?”

“Like 16 or 17.” Ronnie said trying to remember the details. “He doesn’t wanna have anything to do with it. So, she gets pissed and decides to make him pay. She reports him for rape.”

“That’s fucked up.” Pete said. “No wonder you broke up with her.”

“Hang a sec, dude.” Ronnie said. “Anyway, while the police are investigating the whole thing, they get a DNA match on the guy.”

“What did he do?” Schnieder asked.

“Turns out, in the five years he had been living there, he rapped and killed five girls.”

“HOLY SHIT!” Pete said.

“You’re fucking kidding.” “Schnieder added.

“No, I'm not.” Ronnie said. “The kicker is that each of the girls was the same age as Annie when he did it to them.


Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "The Break - Chapter 18"

 

post a comment