“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Am I one of the few?

A few years back, I had this recurring dream. It was pretty strange. My room was filled with a brilliant light and I felt like I was levitating above my bed. But the strangest part was that I felt as if I was awake and watching this happening to me. It was a very disquieting dream to say the least. If I had this dream once or twice, it wouldn’t have been that big of a deal. But this happened eight or nine times in a two week period. It was kinda freaking me out.

But it was about to get much even more bizarre. I was teaching a Introduction to Operating Systems at the only public traded University in the United States. Class ended at 10:00 PM and to kill time on the hour long drive home, I turned on the radio. Since I cannot stand commercial radio and there wasn’t anything good on NPR, I found myself listening to Art Bell. In case you haven’t ever listened to late night talk radio, Mr. Bell has a pretty entertaining radio talk show. That is if you enjoy laughing at people that claim to have had close encounters of the third kind. Which, from time to time, I do.

Anyway, the topic of the evening was alien abduction. The first person started describing the recurring dream or what seemed to be a dream when the nights she was abducted by aliens. You read that right – the nights she was abducted by aliens. Guess what, she was describing my dream to a tee. At first, I thought it was strange. But then I was shaken to the core as caller after caller validated that they had the same dream the nights they were abducted.

As a rolled down the road, I became to question reality or what seemed to be reality. Was it possible that I had been a guest on a silvery metallic spaceship? The guest of little green men from a distant galaxy? Did they perform weird experiments on me? Am I one of the so-called freaks that I have laughed at over the years?

Rushing home, more like driving at unbelievable speeds putting myself and the other hapless saps driving on the highway at 10:30 at night. Give me a break, I had just found out that I was the victim of some seriously sick and very intrusive medical experiments. Bursting through the door, I ordered my wife upstairs to search for any evidence that I had a permanent anal probe planted deep inside my body by these highly advanced, but extremely vile mutant dwarfs.

Needless to say, it took a little coaxing to get her to comply with my deranged request. After her in depth examination turned up nothing, I began to relax. I haven’t thought about this dream for some time. Other than that hour of panic, I never really believed that I was abducted by aliens. Sometimes a dream is just a dream and sometimes a story is just a story.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Am I one of the few?"

 

Blogger JR's Thumbprints said ... (9:51 PM) : 

We just may have more close encounters of the 3rd kind now that scientists have redefined what a planet is and is not. The universe just got smaller.

 

Blogger Pamela J Weatherill said ... (1:18 AM) : 

Dreams make GREAT fodder for short stories!

By the way I am BACK on BLOGGER! Yeah! (Well its good for me .. .nto sure anyone else cares!)

 

post a comment