“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Name that tune

A quick quiz for you. See if you can figure out what song that contains these words. "Delusions of granduer, visions of splendor, this manic depressive who walks in the rain."

From the very first time I heard this song in 1977, I knew it was about me. Yeah, I know. But give me a minute, would ya? This song was on one of the first albums, actual vinyl, that I ever bought. At the tender age of fourteen, I had never heard the phrase "delusions of granduer" and I had no idea what a manic depressive was. Come on, cut me some slack. In the seventies, mental illness was still considered a character flaw and no one talked about, let alone advertised the treatments for the disorder on television.

On many occasions, I have written about the effect that art has had on me. Whether it's painting, sculpture, writing or music, the stuff I like most are the things that seem as if they were created with me in mind. As if the artist was creating just for me. This song is one of the pieces that fits in with that. For some reason, the song moved me. It was beyond the music, which I happen to think was fantastic, it was that one particular line which spoke directly to me.

As I look back, it seems like I have always been like "the manic depressive that walks in the rain" to one degree or another. For example, in my mind, I have already spent all the money that I am going to win in the lottery (see The Winners). I have seen "the visions of splendor" of how I will live when that day comes. Then when it doesn't happen, I, literally and/or figuratively, find myself walking in the rain.

I am not writing this for sympathy. In fact, it is very comforting knowing that some one else shares these same feelings. Additionally, I am a generally happy person since I have come to understand my "moods". There is absolutely nothing better than understanding your flaws and being comfortable in your own skin. So really, don't feel sorry for me. Another line in the song the band gives some excellent gives the advice "hang on to your plans. Try as they might, they cannot steal your dreams." Plus, if I wasn't me, you would be deprived of the sheer joy you experience when reading all my immensely entertaining stories.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Name that tune"

 

Blogger - Luke. said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Well, I don't have much time, but I just wanted to say hello, and that I loved the lyrics excerpt. I'm starting up a little quote page soon, hence why I noted it. If you ever come across some others like it, let me know :o)

Ciao.

 

post a comment