“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Sunday, August 13, 2006

So much material

Pelican Dock Days lived up to all the hype! It was a kick in the pants. In addition to just plain fun, it provided a goldmine of material for me to use in the future. Now I am not the type of person that is going to spill the beans right of the bat. No, I have to savor this and then write parables and see how long it takes the subject of the story to recognize themselves.

Cruel game, you ask? I don't think so and here is why. I write the stories with enough "fiction" thrown into the mix that people rarely ever recognize themselves. Remember, I told you a long time ago that every thing I write has some element of truth to it. Where do you think I come up with this weird crap? Do you think anyone can make up this stuff?

Don't get me wrong, most of the stories I write, such as the novels, are completely made up. You see the people I know in the character's idiosyncrasies. Such as, the way one of the girls twists her hair when she is nervous or the aggressive tone a guy takes when put on the defensive or (and one of my absolute favorites) a guy that buys scratch lottery tickets, has the convenience store clerk scan the bar code to see if they are winners and if they are, he keeps them. Then he gives the losers away as christmas presents.

So there you have it. That's how I merge real life into my fiction. Don't get paranoid, I not revealing anything new. As humans, we have this idea that we are masking our idiosyncrasies from each other. The irony is the masks are the idiosyncrasies.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "So much material"

 

post a comment