“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Thursday, August 03, 2006

Moving Blues

The worst thing about moving from Evergreen, Colorado to Liberty Lake, Washington a few years back was leaving our friends behind. We had lived in Colorado for eighteen years and made several very good friends. I can vividly remember the day we returned from vacationing in the Inland Empire (the locally name for eastern Washington and Northern Idaho). That evening our friends invited us over for dinner. Since we hadn't seen them in almost two weeks we were all eager to get together.

We waited until after dinner, then I told them I found a new job. Imagine their surprise. I was supposed to be on vacation and I had landed a job in a very brief time. Then it was time for the bombshell. My job was in Spokane, WA. Dumbfounded, our friends sat and stared at us.

"But you live here." One of them said after a very long pause.

"Not for long. We are putting our house on the market and moving to Liberty Lake, Washington."

Blank stares.

"Yeah." I continued uncorfortably. "We already bought a house."

More blank stairs (no carpet on those babies).

Finally, one of them congratulated us and the others soon joined. It was very chatty for a few minutes, when I noticed my friend slink through the sliding glass door. After a few moments, I decided to follow him.

"What's up Brother Eyeball?" I asked.

"Rebel, I can't believe your leaving me here. What are we going to do?"

"Dude, you'll be fine." I encouraged. "You still have Cheesmo."

"That dickhead?" He responded.

I was a little worried for a moment, but then he said it.

"You kiss way better than he does."

We both cracked up. In that moment, we knew it was just one of life's transitions and it was a good move for the rebel family. He put his feelings of sorrow aside, gave me a hug and was very supportive throughout our whole moving process.

Why am I telling you this. Well, they Brother Eyeball and his family have been here all week. Hence the lack of postings on my part. Unfortunately, they are heading back to Colorado on Sunday. But we still have the whole weekend to spend at the lake. Time to head out and live life while we can.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Moving Blues"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

And a great time to be at the lake, I'm thinking. Take time and enjoy!

 

post a comment