“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Sunday, July 30, 2006

Is blogging a waste of time

A question I have been pondering lately is whether I am wasting my time sitting for hours with my laptop trying to think of something interesting to say. When I do finally come up with something suitable to commit to a posting, how many people actually take the time to read it?

A little while ago, I realized that doesn't matter. Not at all. What really matters is, I am doing what I want to be doing. I love to tell stories. That's what I do. At work, I tell humorous anecdotes as a way of relating to my co-workers. At home, I tell stories to entertain my family and friends. On my blog, I tell stories to take the pressure of my friends. They can only take so much of my offbeat humor. You on the other hand can simply move on with a simple click of the mouse. My family and friends, on the other hand, are driven to taking frequent trips to the refrigerator to get more beer to get them prepared for yet another story.

That actually works in my favor. The more beer they drink while I am spewing my charming little stories, the less likely they are to mind when I a repeating something for the forty-third time. Man invented beer for a reason!

I have come to terms with this a very long time ago. When I was younger, I use to worry whether or not I was boring people stiff. Then I noticed something. People seek me out for conversation. I can only attribute that to the fact that I must be somewhat entertaining and down right funny. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t sit down and plan out how I am going fit my little tidbits in to conversation. It is simply the way I choose to relate to people.

When I do indulge my little pleasure, it usually has a point. It usually pertains to the topic at hand. I reveal a part of myself in order to put the other person at ease and allow them a comfort zone in which to reveal something about them. We all strive to be understood, to share common interest, to live a full life.

So is blogging a waste of time? Not for me. It is my way to do what I want to do. Plain and simple.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Is blogging a waste of time"

 

Blogger Pamela J Weatherill said ... (6:25 PM) : 

That was a rhetorical question wasn't it? :-)

 

post a comment