“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Political blogging

A thought occured to me as I was jousting with some neo-cons on a political blog. It seems like as Americans, we have no sense of history what-so-ever. I find this rather appalling. But then again since my undergraduate degree is in Political Science, I am of a history snob. See all the fun facts you are finding out about me?

It goes without saying, I actually enjoy tilting with the sorry lot that trolls around the blogosphere spouting the inane garbage they are fed by right-wing blow hards. I simple cannot tell you the amount of enjoyment I derive when one of these individuals calls me out. Their arguements simply have no depth. When you push past the talking points, they immediately explode into personal attacks. I know, I know. It sounds like I go around baiting these people and you may think that I only dare to do it from the safety of my couch. You would be wrong on both accounts.

First, I don't bait anyone. I simply comment on an issue of the day and they come back at me usually questioning my patriotism, my lineage and intellignce. If you really are suprised by this, maybe you should read my posting The thing is .... What can I say? I am born rabble-rouser.

Second, I frequently engage in face-to-face conversations about politics with people with whom I vehemently disagree. Most noticably, my brother. There are times that I truly wonder how we could have shared the same womb. But that is an entirely different story.

That said, even I wonder why I engage in this particular activity. I guess a part of me wants to pursuade people ... okay, enlighten them. But being that I am a quasi-intelligent human being, I hold no illusions that any one will change their position by my charming personality. And yet, I am drawn by some kind of compulsion to speak my mind.

Briefly, I had a political blog. I started it because I wanted to write about things that interest me. Soon I found that the only people interested in commenting on my blog were fellow-travelers (how boring is that) and the troll patrol. So, I shut that down and have settled for commenting on other people's blogs. Sometimes, I do manage to find a good conversation with some one with well thought out logical arguments. I guess that's what keeps my interest, the chance happening upon some one that really is interested in talking rationally about solutions to big issues. Who knows, maybe someday we will be able return to rational discourse in this country.


More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Political blogging"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

I avoid political blogs at all costs. The hostility just isn't worth it (at least not to me).

 

Blogger rebeleyeball said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I agree with you about the hostility. As soon as someone gets personal, I bail. To me, it's worth taking a few arrows to run across some one that is rational and can artictulate their arguement in a logical manner. It is rare, but to me it is a sign that we still have hope.

 

post a comment