“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Sunday, October 15, 2006

More on karaoke

You may remember that I told you that I use to spend a great deal of time doing karaoke. As a matter of fact, I was known as the "singing bartender" for awhile. If you went into a bar and saw a guy singing while continuing to serve all the customers, that was me. It was fun, but the nights I wasn't working were much more fun.

One night, the group of us got together at the bar and started doing our thing. at about ten, a bunch of people started showing up and soon there were tons of singers in the rotation. So instead of singing every fifteen minutes or so, it was taken an excurciating amount of time to get back up on stage. For you non-singers, you may not understand how truly frustrating this is for us spotlight cravers. But if you happen to share my need, yes it is a need, you understand the anxienty that builds up inside while you are waiting for your name to be called.

On nights like this, you want to ring your "A" game. There are so many eyes watching you. You feel you just have to deliver. This particular evening, I was definitely not on top of my game. But I wanted to put on a show. Instead of singing, I came up with a little plan.

One of my "group" happened to be the best singer I have ever heard. I am not talking about just in a karaoke bar. She compares favorable to any contempory professional singer out there. She has talent. Anyway, I knew that I was going to be called next. So I went to the KJ, that happened to be another friend of mine, asked him to change my song and discreetly "borrowed" his cordless microphone. I managed to get it back to our table without anyone the wiser.

As planned, I handed her the microphone and she slid under the table. When my name was called, I strode confidently onto the stage. Most of the people that were there had been there before and knew my song selection. At least half of them were surprised to see "Under the Boardwalk" come up on the screen as my song. As the music started, I prepared myself. When the words began to highlight, Mary began singing as I lip-synced. As expected, the crowd roared with approval. It was quite possibly the best "performance" I have ever given.

Sometimes, I really miss those days.
Technorati Tags: , , , ,
IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "More on karaoke"

 

post a comment