“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Monday, September 18, 2006

Filthy, stinking habits

No doubt about it, I need a way back machine. How much better could things be if you could simply go back in time and rearrange a few of those little events that seem to have a ripple effect through your life? Could you possibly change those things or would your life be like Kurt Vonnegut described in "Timequake"? If you haven't read the novel, you should. In my opinion, it is one of his best works.

Not to ruin the book, but he describes a timequake in which the entire world skips back ten years and everyone has to relive all of the events of the last ten years over again. They were conscious of everything, but they didn't have the power to change a thing. It's a frightful thought, isn't it?

But isn't that what most of us do anyway? Trapped by our habits, desperately trying to do something to change. But most of us are unable to keep from repeating the same mistakes over and over ad nauseum. Before you go protesting the statement, take a moment to reflect on all the things you do and look for the patterns. I bet they are there. Some are good, some not so good.

Any thing you would like to change? Anything you can change? Can you? Really? Come on don't lie to me. More importantly, don't lie to yourself. How many times have you said something like "I'm never going to drink again"? Or "I am not going to yell at my kids any more"? Or "I am going to keep up on the laundry"? How many diets have you suffered through only to gain the weight back? How many unfinished projects are there laying around your house? How many new jobs have you taken saying "This one is going to be different"? Habits are a mother.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,
IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "Filthy, stinking habits"

 

Blogger Pamela J Weatherill said ... (12:43 AM) : 

I'd never be so silly as to say "I am never gonna drink again" .... surely ... hmmmmmmmmmm ... nope ... not me!

 

post a comment