“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Saturday, December 16, 2006

New toy

Today I made the best purchase I have made in a very long time. I went out today and bought a record player. No, I did not say a CD player, or a DVD player or even a MP3 player. No, not a turn-table to hook up to one of my many receivers, I purchased an honest to goodness record player. I even have to tilt my albums into the hole in the back because it isn't wide enough for the whole album to fit inside the wood cabinet.

Even though this sounds exactly like the ones we had back in the days of AM radio, this is a brand new record player. It is fairly well made and it is capable of playing 33 1/3s, 45s and 78s. It came equipped with 2 built-in speakers, an on/off button and a button to tune in the radio. Other than that, there aren't any other knobs or input/output ports. Nothing but a record player. No bass adjustment, no graphic equalizer, no hookups for a sub-woofer, no fade, no balance - nothing but music.

This is quite a day for me. Over the years, I had collected almost five hundred albums. It's not a huge collection, but it is substantial. Then about fifteen years ago or so, I seduced by my first CD player. She came into my life sweetly tempting my ears with sound quality I never could have imagined when I was a teen-ager during the long hours that I laid on my bed listening to my record player. Back then my collection was small only a few albums. But they had the sound, so I played them over and over eventually wearing deep grooves into black vinyl.

But that all changed when I got that first CD player. The sound was so incredible, the discs didn't skip and they were virtually indestructible. For these reasons, I immediately abandoned my round, black friends. After building up a healthy collection of smaller, shining silver discs, I unceremoniously boxed up my albums and banished them to the basement. Even though, I didn't think I would ever listen to them again, I kept them. In fact, I moved them twice. Not an easy feat. If you've ever picked up a box with a hundred or so albums, you know what I mean.

Anyway, I have been considering doing something about my turn-table, which I kept around as well in spite of the fact that the needle broke off long ago. Then today, I just decided to go to Best Buy and pick up a new turn-table. Of course, they didn't have one, but for less than fifty bucks I could get the record player - SOLD!

After I made the purchase, I excitedly hurried home because I already knew the first song I was going to play – “Sympathy for the Devil” from “Love You Live” which is my favorite album that I never got around to purchasing on CD. Oh, the sounds, the sounds, the sounds.

Now, I am in heaven. Not just because I feel like I am hanging out with old friends, which I am. I tell you, there are some stories in these records. But this is what music used to sound like. Remember when music was about music and not just all about production? Remember when we didn't have to get clobbered in the head with bass to find the rhythm in a song? I know, I know, I sound like an old fart. So what, any one under forty reading this will get old some day and pine for the days when you could sit around and listen to your CDs.
I have to go flip over the album, so I’ll wait for another time to tell you about the thought’s I had while listening to the song “46 Bye Byes” from another great album called “Fourway Street”. Let’s see how many over forty’s there are out there reading this here blog – name the band. Anyone? Anyone?

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Comments on "New toy"

 

Blogger Pamela J Weatherill said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Just popping by to wish you a Merry Christmas

 

Blogger amber dawn. pullin said ... (12:48 PM) : 

It's '49 Bye Byes' and it's Crosby, Stills & Nash - unless it's a song I'm not familiar with. I was just listening to this song.

I love my vinyl. While I enjoy my cassettes & cds, nothing beats the scratch authenticity of vinyl.

 

Blogger rebeleyeball said ... (1:12 PM) : 

You're right, "49 Bye Byes" and incredibly sloppy typing on my part. So close on the name of the "group" - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. As I keep listening, I can't believe all the music I have "forgotten". There are definitely treasures as well as a few "what was I thinking when I bought this piece of ..."

 

post a comment