“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Break - Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Not willing to give an inch, Anita forced herself to think. She knew she was a little rusty, but even on her worst day she was better than this. Sitting in this room listening to this man, she knew she had stumbled onto the story that could bring her back. It was imperative that she take the initiative here. She couldn’t allow him to leave despite of what Ron said.

“Hang on a second.” Anita said to Ron. “Before you decide to leave, give me a minute, okay?”

Looking directly into her eyes as he always did when he was facing of with an adversary, he saw straight inside. She had completely let her guard down. In that moment, he knew what she was about to tell him was the absolute truth.

“Sure, my calendar is clear.” He said wryly.

Relived that he agreed to stay, Anita prepared herself. Feeling a twinge in her stomach, she inhaled deeply and exhaled. Knowing that she was about to do something she had not done in a very long time, she couldn’t hide her nervousness. She needed to get Ron to open up and she needed him to do it right now. Because it was so important to her, she was about to let her guard down and invite some one into her very private, personal world.

“I not really sure how to start.” Anita said tentatively. “I guess I am going to tell you about me.”

Ron eased back in his chair and laid his arms on the arm rest of the overstuffed recliner. Understanding how difficult this was for her, her wanted to give her a little space. Additionally, he wanted to poise his body so that he would put out receptive, open body language. One of his greatest skills was his deep understanding of non-verbal communication. If he presented his posture as relaxed and his eyes full of sympathy, she would feel comfortable enough to reveal everything.

“You saw the tape.” Anita continued. “You’re smart enough to realize that I don’t work there any more. Well, that is just part of the story.”

When Anita paused to take a drink, Ron felt an unbelievable sinking feeling in his stomach. Here he was watching this woman summoning up the courage to reveal herself to him and all he could do was to continue treating her like an opponent that he needed to best. She was his only hope and she was willing to help. Ron needed to let go a little. Actually, he needed to let go a great deal. He needed to make the same decision he already knew Anita made.

“I was doing great.” Anita said. “Hard to believe now, but I was on the fast track to the network.”

“Wow, that is big.” Ron agreed. “Top of your field.”

“Yes, and all I needed was one more story.” Anita said. “When I heard the Pepsi Center blew up. I was … I was …”

Anita paused again. She took a long drink. Then she closed her eyes.

“I-I-I was ecstatic.” She barely whispered as tears ran down her cheek.

“Come again?” Ron said.

“I was ecstatic.” Anita repeated. “And the reason I had that ghoulish smile on my face was because all I could think of during the whole newscast was that I was going network. Not a single thought of the people ...”

At that point, Anita completely broke down. Her body was wracked by sobs. Quickly, Ron got up and crossed the room. Sitting down on the couch next to Anita, her put his arm around her to comfort her. This only made her sob more loudly.

“Nitti?” Elena asked as she rushed out of the bedroom. “Nitti? You okay?”

Hearing her sister, Anita turned to look at her. But she could not stop crying. She held one hand up to her sister. Picking up on the cue, Elena sat down next to her sister and opened her arms. Anita fell into her open bosom and continued to sob uncontrollably.

Elena looked over her sister’s heaving back and gave Ron an accusing look.

“Shush, Nitti.” Elena said softly as she lovingly rocked her sister back and forth. “Shush, honey.”

The crying began to subside. Elena knew that Anita was calming down, so she turned her attention to Ron.

“What did you do to her?” She hissed viciously.

“Maybe right now isn’t the best time?” Ron said as he motioned to Anita.

Ron had seen his share of fiery woman, but nothing matched the look that Elena shot at him. It was the most unnerving feeling. Not even the people he had gotten the better of I business deals had looked at him with such hatred.

“Uh…maybe I’ll just go.” Ron said meekly.

“Good idea.” Elena said.

“No.” Anita said firmly as she suddenly sat upright and wiped the tears from her eyes.

Both her companions sat dumbfounded as they watched her force herself to stop crying with sheer will. Leaning forward, she extracted a tissue from the box on the coffee table and blew her nose.

“I have cried about this enough.” She stated. “We have an interview to conduct. Right, Mr. Harrison.”

“Yes we do.” He said with a smile. The courage she was demonstrating was spurring him forward. “And call me Ron.”

“Thanks for the shoulder, Lena.” She said to her sister. “You can stay if you want to.”

“I think I will.” She said giving Ron a look that told him she was going to keep her eye on him.

Summoning all her energy, Anita regained her composure. She picked up her notebook and flipped back to the where she had started a half hour ago.

“Okay, Mr. Har … Ron.” Anita said. “Let’s start at the beginning. Now, you said your son was in a band.”

“Yeah, Ratdick.”

“Ratdick?” Elena spat in a disgusted tone.

“Lena, please.” Anita said gently. “So, there was a man named Frankie also known as Schnieder that was a roadie in the band.”

“Yes.” Ron replied.

Anita was beginning to feel her legs again. Surprisingly, Ron found it easy to answer the questions.

“He is the man you say was the bomber.” Anita continued.

“Correct.” Ron responded.

“He is also the man you killed.” Anita stated flatly.

“Yes.” Ron replied

Elena let out a gasp and rapidly made a sign of the cross. She gave Anita a horrified look.

“It’s okay, Elena.” Anita reassured her. “Mr. Harrison did kill this man, but he has assured me that he had to and I believe him.”

“You sure?” Elena asked as if Ron was not in the room.

“Lena.” Ron said softly as he looked into her eyes. “May I call you Lena?”

She nodded slightly.

“This man was a very bad man.” Ron said feeling a slight lump in his throat. “He killed thousands of people and he would have killed me if I didn’t kill him. I had to kill him.”

“Okay, let’s not go there yet.” Anita said resuming control of the interview. “One thing I am not sure I understand fully is how you came about suspecting Frankie was up to no good.”

There it was. The question Ron had not answered. It was the thing he hadn’t told anyone, including Ronnie.

“I lied to you when I said that I went to Seattle for a business trip.” Ron admitted. “I went there and stayed with the band for the rest of the shows because I found out that I have cancer.”

Ron stood up and began to pace behind the couch. The women looked forward, not wanting to stare. They knew how uncomfortable this was for him.

“Right after I found out I had it.” Ron continued. “I got them their first gig. Then I got them on the road. I couldn’t join them because I had to go through a round of chemo. It didn’t work, so I wanted to spend the rest of my time with my son.”

“Oh, I am so sorry.” Anita said sincerely.

“Don’t be.” Ron said. “You wanna hear the kick in the pants. When I was in the hospital, they told me I was in remission. So, I am completely fit to stand trial and spend my life in jail.”

Not really knowing how to respond, neither woman said anything. Ron decided to continue.

“So, when I was on tour with the band. I hung out with Schnieder since we are about the same age. He seemed like a decent guy. But I started noticing some strange behavior.”

“What type of behavior?” Anita asked.

“The kind I told you about before.” Ron responded. “You know, he would just check out. Other times he just talked about the evil.”

“The evil?” Anita said quizzically. “Yes, I wrote that down when you mentioned that before. This was important to the story?”

“Yeah, I really thought it was the flashbacks.” Ron explained. “He did two tours in Vietnam. But then I had the extreme displeasure of actually meeting the evil.”

“The evil is a person?” Unable to really grasp what Ron was saying.

Ron paused for a moment, not sure if he should tell them. He knew he had no choice.

“He is flesh and bones.” Ron said. “But I wouldn’t call him a person. He is pure evil and he is still out there.”

“You told me most of this already.” Anita said trying not to sound annoyed. You still haven’t told me how this tie in with your son. So, can you tell me?”

“Yes, I think can.” Ron said matter-of-factly. “As I started hanging around with Schnieder, he told me more about himself. He told me that he was captured on his last day in Vietnam, but not by the Vietnamese. He was captured by the CIA.’

“What?” Anita asked a little too indignantly.

Ron paused and looked her in the eyes. Waiting for her to focus on his eyes, he thought he could get her to believe him.

“Yeah, I know. Sounds like the plot from a bad movie.” Ron said shaking his head as if he still didn’t believe it. “Trust me, it’s not a bad movie. How I wish it was. It’s just a nightmare.”

“I believe him.” Elena said. “No eyes can look like his and lie.”

Completing taken off guard, Ron turned to look at Elena. He had actually forgotten that she was there, but now he glad he was.

“Thanks, Lena.” Ron responded. “So, he told me how the tortured him and basically crushed him so badly that he didn’t even know his name for five years. Of course, I thought he was bullshitting me, until the night I saw him with the evil. Actually, the guy’s name is Ian Gegger. I am still not sure why he didn’t kill me that night. Maybe he knew I would be a good patsy.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they completed the money talk, Ass and Ben headed to the back of the bus. Still tired, they laid down next to each other on one of the beds.

“Sorry about last night.” Ass said to Ben. “That show took a lot out of me.”

“It’s cool.” Ben said. “Actually, I fell asleep about the same time you did.”

“So, we really haven’t talked about this.” Ass said.

Ben propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at his friend who was lying on his back next to him.

“Are you sure you are ready to talk about it, Eddie?” Ben asked.

“Yeah, I think so.” Ass replied. “It is pretty weird for, you know? I mean, like…uh…it’s…I know it feels good and all – kissing you and stuff. But it is just really hard … uh … difficult to take that step.”

“But do you even want to try?” Ben asked.

“Well…yeah…I told you …” Ass started.

Before he could finish his sentence, Ben leaned over and began kissing him. Eddie responded vigorously. After kissing for a moment, Ass pushed Ben up and off him, Ben rolled on to his back. At that moment, he expected Ass to stop. But he didn’t. He simply rolled on top of Ben and began kissing him more aggressively. Although he initiated it this time, Ben was glad that Eddie wanted to assume the dominant position. In all his other relationships, he had always felt more comfortable when his partner took the lead.

Eddie put his leg over Ben’s thighs and began to rub his hardness on his friend’s leg. Ben felt himself become aroused. Fully engulfed in the moment, he reached between his thigh and Eddie and began stroking him though his jeans. Almost instantly, Eddie responded by rubbing Ben. They continue kissing and petting for what seemed to be a very long time.

At some point, Ben had freed Eddie from his jeans. Gently, he pushed on Eddie’s chest. Picking up on the cue, Eddie rolled to his back and watched as Ben slid down and took Eddie into his mouth. Eddie closed his eyes.

“Oh, that feels so good.” Eddie said. “Yeah, that’s it.”

Ben continued to lick and stroke Eddie for several minutes. Occasionally, he would look up and see Eddie looking back at him. The look in Eddie’s eyes encouraged him to pay more attention to what he was doing.

“Eddie?” Ben asked.

Even though he had taken his mouth off of Eddie, he continued to stroke him vigorously with his hand.

“Yeah.” Eddie reply.

“You wanna fuck me?” Ben asked softly.

“Yeah.” Eddie said convincingly.

Ben rolled off Eddie, stood up and removed his clothing. At the same time, Eddie managed to remove his clothes. He sat up in the bed as Ben reached into the over head flipper and grabbed a bottle of KY liquid gel.

“Put some of this on.” He said as he handed the bottle to Eddie.

Then he crawled back into bed on positioned himself on his hands and knees with his rear end facing Eddie.

“Now, put it in me.” He instructed.

Eddie got into position behind Ben and slowing began pressing himself against his rectum. Feeling a bit of resistance, he pushed harder and felt himself slide in a few inches. He slid himself back and then forward again. This time he went a little deeper, a little more aggressively.

“That’s it, fuck me Eddie.” Ben said.

Eddie obliged and began sliding back and forth, sometimes going deep. Other times, just a short stroke. Soon they fell into a rhythm, their rhythm. It was the perfect speed for both of them. Eddie placed his hands on Ben’s hips and pulled him back firmly. Then he gently pushed back on Ben’s hips sliding him down his shaft. He repeated the motion. This time he penetrated even deeper shoving his full length into Ben.

“Oh, fuck yeah.” Ben said. “Pull on me.”

“What?” Eddie asked.

“Grab my dick and pull.” Ben continued.

Reaching around, Eddie took Ben in his hand and began stroke as if he were stroking himself. It felt very strange to have Ben in his hand. It felt much different than when he touched himself. Ben was a little bit longer, but not as big around as he was. Soon, he forgot that he was stroking another man.

They continued for a few more minutes until Eddie felt Ben swell and begin to spasm.

“Oh, God yeah.” Ben cried out as his load shot out on to the bed. “Squeeze it, squeeze it. Yes, yes, uh … yes.”

Hearing Ben triggered Eddie’s release. He felt the familiar explosion as he emptied himself into Ben.

“Ahhhh.” Eddie said as he completed his orgasm.

Pausing for a moment to savor the release, Eddie pulled his hand back and saw the evidence of Ben’s orgasm on his hand. Slowing he pulled out and laid down on his back. Ben turned around and joined him. Snuggling into the crook of Eddie’s arm, Ben could not remember a time that he had been so satisfied. The moment he had waited for ten year to happen finally did and it was amazing. Eddie was the best lover he had ever had. Even more importantly, this was so much more than he had prior to this. All the other men he had been with were mainly for sex, this was love. This was making love.

Eddie looked over and saw the contented smile on Ben’s face as he closed his eyes and snuggled in deeper. The excitement of the last half hour had evaporated and Eddie lay there horrified with what he had just done. Sure, it had felt good physically. But he was completely disgusted with himself. He simply was not gay. As much as he loved Ben, he knew right then that they would never do that again. Eddie could not bring himself to do it. He would not allow himself to do it. Not feeling the way he felt right now.

The disgust was quickly replaced by dread as he looked down at his now sleeping partner.

“How are we ever going to get past this?” He thought.

Knowing Ben, he was now going to expect that he and Eddie were lovers, partners, boyfriends. No, that was not going to happen. Eddie was not going to have a boyfriend no matter what. He liked women, he loved women and he was going make love to women. But he really had no idea how to tell Ben that.

“Oh, Eddie.” He said to himself. “You dumbass. What fucking can of worms did you just open?”

As he lay there holding Ben, Eddie wished he was any where other than where he was right now. At least Ben had fallen asleep giving him time to think through this and he was going to need some time.






<<< Chapter 23


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "The Break - Chapter 24"

 

post a comment