“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Thursday, March 16, 2006

Very Funny

At first, I was livid. Words cannot express how incredibly pissed off I was when I dialed 1-212-639-9675. If you read my previous posting, you know that I had received an email from the scheduling intern from the Late Show with David Lettermen. The email said Dave was considering having me on the show and that I should let them know my availability on March 29, 2006.

Allowing excitement to overcome common sense, I dialed the number fully expecting to speak with Ms. Ida Lucier. Really, I have no idea how I missed it. Maybe it's because I have known three people with the last name Lucier. I went to school from third grade until my senior year with a woman with the last name Lucier and her brother. While I was working in Denver, I worked for several years with another man named Lucier. Or maybe I was just so caught up in the moment that I didn't realize that with the right inflection, Ida Lucier becomes "I da loser"

Since I was expecting to hear the cheery voice of a Late Show intern, imagine my shock when I heard the battle-hardened, brittle, heavily accented New Yorker answer by saying:

"New York City Department of Sanitation. What can I do for you."

First, I was confused. Then, as I said earlier, anger of biblical proportions built deep within me. Just when I thought I was going to go over the top, I just started laughing.

I have to admit, not only is it funny, it's pretty damn creative. Not only that, some one has actually been reading enough to go to some pretty elaborate lengths to play a practical joke on me. Think about it. Whoever did this, had to set up the idalucier@gmail.com account to send me the message. Yes, thank you, that should have been my first clue. Then the perpetrator had to write a fairly convincing email - come on - you wanted to believe it, too. But what really set this apart, I think, was giving me the number for the New York City Department of Sanitation.

Therefore, all I can say is "Well Done". Ya got me, hook, line and sinker - you rat bastard! If I ever find out who did this, I'll ... I'll ... I'll buy you a beer, cause I really do think that this was a funny prank - thanks for playing.

Lesson learned, check out the emails before I go blogging my mouth off.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Very Funny"

 

Blogger Pernicious Panda said ... (12:02 AM) : 

I swear it wasn't me. I just got here!
Kristy
www.fireinthekitchen.net/kristy.htm

 

Blogger rebeleyeball said ... (8:08 AM) : 

Well, welcome. I hope you enjoy your visits. Nice pics of western Washington on your site, btw. HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!

 

post a comment