“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Sunday, May 07, 2006

Olbermann and Vonnegut

Maybe you saw this comment left by anonymous:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous said...
I don't know how to tell you this, but Keith Olbermann has been back on ESPN Radio, appearing with Dan Patrick on his show, since last August.

Writing him an e-mail at this point in time trying to flatter him by telling him "ESPN sucks--you made the right move" might not be the best way to get him to answer you.


Now, some think I might be a little embarrassed by this obvious faux pas. Maybe feeling a little humbled by my lack of knowledge of the target of my email. But you know what, even if I should be ashamed of myself for being less than prepared when trying to get someone to notice me, I'm not. Not a single teeny, tiny bit. Care to know why?

If you have been reading my stuff, you know there are several reasons for this. Mainly, because there is never just one reason for anything in my world. Aren't you glad? First, I stated in my email that I was less than familiar with his work. Although I did make it clear that I am not a regular viewer of "Countdown", I am entertained. Think I was pretty honest there.

Second, I wasn't purposefully trying to flatter him by saying ESPN sucks. I was merely stating my uninformed opinion about an employer. Personally, I do believe that ESPN sucks, but I didn't say I didn't watch it. I do watch it when the game is on, but I cannot stand SportsCenter and what it has evolved to over the years. Baseball Tonight is decent, but still not really watchable on a regular basis. Maybe it's because I loved the concept of ESPN and I was a regular watcher - okay, I was a junkie - for over 20 years. It's changed and I don't like it. Ergo, I think ESPN sucks.

Third, just because he is working there again doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Nor does it mean that he thinks it doesn't suck. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Additionally, I haven't listened to sports talk radio since the early nineties. Forgive me if I don't know that he's back doing his thing with Dan Patrick - knock yourself out Mr. Olbermann. I salute you for returning to your roots. Personally, I think "anonymous" is actually Keith Obermann. Think about it - who else wwould bother leaving that comment. Just like all the others before, he is reading - you betcha he is.

Enough of this revisionist history and on to something really exciting. Today I made a trip to Barnes and Noble where I made a very significant purchase. I purchased "Hocus Pocus" and "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut. Already I have read half of "Hocus Pocus". I am absolutely amazed. Actually, being that I have already read "Hocus Pocus" should I say "I am absolutely re-amazed"?

If I may, I would like to give you an example of something that hit me particularly hard. Here is a passage from page four of Kurt Vonnegut's "Hocus Pocus":

"Perhaps the only precept that my Grandfather Wills that I have honored all my adult life is that profanity and obscenity entitle people who don't want unpleasant information to close their ears and eyes to you."

Remember this is a work of fiction, so it is the character speaking not Kurt Vonnegut. Anyway, this hit amazingly close to home. If you happen to have read any of my work, you see that sometimes it seems that I go out of my way to use profanity and obscenity. It's like I want to take reality and rub it in peoples faces so the see the world for what it is, both it's ugliness and it's beauty. In my mind, it never occurred to me that if you show people a dog turd, they may just close their eyes and pretend it's not there despite it's malodorous insistence to the contrary.

This work is unbelievably good. If you haven't read any Vonnegut, I urge you to do so. If you have, you may want to reread one or two of his works. It really is worth it. The story lines are excellent. But I must warn you, if you are reading it you have to pay attention. Much of the message is delivered very subtly. The amazing part is how he telegraphs the big stuff coming up. He lets you know several times in advance what to look for. Then it comes and you know exactly what it is and yet you are greatful to have finally read the official word. What am I doing typing, when I should be reading.
More stories from Paul Gavin.

Info on novels Paul Gavin's Storefront.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

IceRocket Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Olbermann and Vonnegut"

 

Blogger Nazli Hardy said ... (7:20 PM) : 

just a quick hello! checking up to see how your writing is going

My respect for Olbermann trippled when he took on Bill O'Reilly a couple of months ago - did you see that

 

post a comment