“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

A couple of days ago, I told you I was surfing through blogs to support others as I hope to be supported. I listed two blogs that to me seemed like nonsense. My curiosity piqued, I posted the links on my page and asked if any one knew anything about it.

I think I stumbled on the answer. There are many different things that search engines look for:

1. Links to your page
2. Content
3. Keywords

These particular blogs are full of keywords repeated over and over with links to their main page. The theory is that these search-engine friendly "blogs" will trick the search engines into giving the main page a higher rank.

How did I figure this out? Well, I participated today. I was looking up SEO and I came across a product that guaranteed to increase traffic to my main site. Since I am trying to increase traffic, I thought it would be a good idea to download the Demo of the software and try it out. It was a very nice interface, but one thing struck me as odd. No where did it tell you what it was doing. All it keep doing was showing squiggly words and a text box for me to type what I saw.

Once I entered the text, the system generated a new “blog”. The response was pretty significant. I received 23 new visitors to my main blog. Of course, none of them stayed for more than 1 second. Officially, that’s traffic. Their guarantee was good. But I don’t think I am going to pay the $147.00 for the full package to have it automatically generate 1000s of “blogs” to contain links to my site.

However, every time I run across one of those sites when I am surfing, I add a link to my blog. So far, I have left 30 or so links. In some ways, I wonder about the ethics of it. But, for now I will keep my low tech bolstering of my web site.


Tags: , , , Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Search Engine Optimization (SEO)"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 AM) : 

Interesting. Its much easier to just create a real blog like you have here and update it frequently. The more recently updated blogs get traffic from "next blog".

 

post a comment