“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Shameless attempt to attract attention

I have discovered that the most difficult part of writing is trying to get someone - anyone to read the material. It is extremely difficult to get family and friends to go to the blog and read all the fresh material, let alone get someone in the industry's attention.Over time I have pondered how to get people to read my material. I have tried sending query letters to agents and publishers. I tried passing my manuscript around to friends. I tried self-publishing. Although I have received generally favorable reviews, I have not seen any of my material gain traction.

Then last month, I read Mark Cuban's interview in Playboy. He is best known as the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. All I knew about him was what I had heard on Sports Center or other sports talk shows. I read the interview and I was totally blown away by his new business. He has invested in a theatre chain, television and DVD production. The idea is to put out original material on all 3 media simultaneously or nearly-simultaneously. Everyone I talk to thinks this is an incredibly stupid idea. I think it is absolutely revolutionary and visionary! It may actually be a little ahead of it's time, but it is coming. Instant access through a variety of media is the future - Mark Cuban is just leading the way. Just like he did with Broadcast.com - another visionary idea.

As I was reading the story, the thing that immediately popped into my mind is that he is going to need content. Who better to supply ideas and material for screen plays for independent films than me? Since my ideas are perfect for this type of endeavor, I had to come up with a way to get my material in front of the desired audience. Therefore, I decided to embark upon a campaign to get him to read my material - not in the weird stalker sense - but in a professional manner of writing emails to promote my work. I plan to chronicle the effort here along with "The Break" and my other commentary. Hey even if he doesn't ever read anything I send him, reading my efforts here may get a laugh or two from the six of you reading this blog.

My first email to Mr Cuban is posted below. In another thinly veiled attempt to curry favor, I have added a link to his blog, Blog Maverick. If you want to read about his independent movie release strategy, click on the link and read "Go See Bubble" and "What Business are theaters in?" They really are very interesting articles.


Tags: , , ,
Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Shameless attempt to attract attention"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

That's just about the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Learn to write and maybe you'll get some readers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

Nice constructive comment. Figures you would hide behind "anonymous". I think it's a pretty good idea. What does rebeleyeball have to lose. All kinds of crazy ideas have worked in the past. I think his writing is pretty good..

 

post a comment