“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Sunday, February 19, 2006

The zone

My head is electric with ideas. Ideas for story lines, ideas for characters, ideas for presentation formats. This is what writing is all about for me. Yes, I have entered my zone where nothing else matters. I have vivid images racing through my brain so quickly that I cannot type fast enough to capture everything. Yeah, I am in the zone, the writing zone.

It is a complete, all encompassing adrenaline rush that makes me want to keep writing to the exclusion of other things in my life. But it is a hobby and I like to think I am good at it. But it is more than that. It is almost a game, where I try to engage others to read the thoughts that I have and see if I can get my readers to react. All reactions are welcome, except one. The one thing I fear more than anything. Actually, the only thing I actually fear. The fear is almost palatable. I feel it every time I press the "Publish Post" button in this editor. It is, of course, no reaction at all. Being hit with the "ho-hum, why should I read this anyway" reaction.

I really have no idea why I write. It is more than some thing to do to kill the time. But I do know exactly why I publish. It is because I want people to feel. I want people to think. All the material I create is intended to get my readers to think beyond themselves. To really look at other people and try to instill some empathy for my characters in the reader.

If I succeed in communicating my message, fantastic. If I don't, well I can't stop writing. Therefore, I can't stop publishing. Maybe I'll get to one of you. Maybe it will be ten. Who knows?


Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "The zone"

 

post a comment