“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Thursday, February 23, 2006

Who wants to be on TV

Here I am, a fiction writer wannabe who thinks he has this incredible idea, but I can't get the right people to listen. I am tired of wringing my hands about this. Let's just do it.

Yesterday, I started by telling you the age groups of the six characters of the show. Tonight, I want to introduce one of the characters. Come on, we'll do it together. Let's start by creating a blogger type profile. Who should we create first? What's that you say? The 35 to 44 year old female character? Exactly what I was thinking.

First thing we need is a name. Well, not the first thing. You can't just reach out a grab a name. No, the name has to be the person. There is absolutely nothing worse than not having the name match the character, unless you are going to purposely play on the mismatch in the story. But we don't want to do that with her, do we? No, you say. My thoughts exactly.

So, this 35 to ... no lets just pick a year she was born let's go with 1968. Why 1968 you ask? When you look back through history, there are certain years that stick out as particularly meaningful. Right, you have your 1066, your 1448, of course 1492, then there's 1557, 1620 notwithstanding, everyone's favorite 1776, 1789 a year we should all be considering at this time, 1812 not so much in this bunch, but we'll include it here anyway, 1815, 1860, 1865, 1899, 1914, 1917, 1929, 1933, 1940, 1941, and . Now, I understand that this site is available globally and I know I left out some important dates, please forgive me. Christ, I am American (just a little dig at the other 60 or so countries that co-exist with the US on the two American continents)it's not like were known for our global awareness or our sense of history. By the way, if the dates I listed don't mean anything to you - you may want to do a little studying. Anyway, I have always refered to 1968 as a crack in time - at least since I saw a documentary titled "1968: A Crack in Time" in my History 450 class in college.

Wow, that was a long route to say she's 37. She'll turn 38 on October 4, 2006. See now we know we are dealing with a 37 year old woman and we know her birthday. Now, we need to make her interesting. First of all, when she was younger she was into the Goth scene - heavily. Not the whole vampire scene, but definitely wearing black with red lipstick and pasty white skin. Going to the clubs, listening to the music and doing all the other Goth stuff. Why a Goth you ask. There is something about woman that feel the need to express themselves in this fashion. Not that I have ever had much experience with Goth woman, but for some reason I get it. The few times I have had the pleasure of having a conversation with a person that lives this type of lifestyle, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason, I get it.

That being said, I have never really been associate with the Goth lifestyle. We will have to do some research here i.e. get some band names, some clubs that are well known circa 1995 to 2000. Might help if we had a hometown to research the clubs. Who up for Chicago - absolutely not. Too big a city, I'm thinking Des Moines Iowa.

Where are we? Oh yeah, 37 year old white ex-Goth from Des Moines, IO. Now I think we have enough to get her name. Wait one other tidbit, when she was earlier in her early teens, she was a bit of a cutter. But she couldn't stand the pain so it only lasted about 3-6 months. However, the fact that she did it at all is very difficult for her to take. So, do have a name? Ashley? No. Jennifer? Just not right. Any other thoughts? Well to me, this adds up to a Vickie or Victoria as she goes by ever since she decided to leave the Goth lifestyle, be "normal" find a man and settle down.

She ended up with Steve, who happened to be the most controlling abusive bastard in Iowa. But because Victoria is a very intelligent woman and she possesses an inner strength, she was able to summon up the courage to walk out a year ago. It was her new beginning, but she is still burdened by the depression. That equals a screen name like darkgodess ... uh ... no. Way too obvious and there is already darkgodess1 through darkgoddess16. No, she is BriteEyes.

You think Vickie is a wreck? Don't misunderstand, Vickie is not a basket case. She is a very intelligent, very strong woman. However, she was not brought up to assert herself. Nor has she ever had anyone that has recognized these qualities or given her the support to achieve her potential.

So here is the character we built together, Vickie a very intelligent, strong 37 year old, ex-Goth that experienced a bad marriage. She has a generally positive outlook on life, but she is teetering on the edge of becoming one of the bitter post-divorce man-haters. One more bad experience and she might fall over into the abyss.

Over time, we will flesh out all of these idiosyncrasies and fobiles. We will also probably find a few more.


Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "Who wants to be on TV"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 AM) : 

what does she look like? how tall is she? what color is her hair? do you have a picture?

 

post a comment