“Great book! I was quickly drawn into the story lines and character development. I really enjoyed how it all came together ...”


Click Here to Read More Reviews









The writing of Paul Gavin featuring novels, short stories, anecdotes, politics and anything else that's on my mind.

Blogroll.net





Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My writing process

This may come as no surprise to anyone. But when I write, I don't sit down to outline exactly what I am going to write. I tend to allow my fingers to just go. Everything I have written in these blogs and as part of the break have been stream-of-consciousness. I rarely re-read what I type and I rely too heavily on the spell checker.

I know these are limitations. My writing could probably be significantly better if I took the time to chart out what I am going to say. Then flesh out the outline, re-read and look for more appropriate words for each situation I am writing. However, I wouldn't enjoy that at all.

Let me tell you a little about me. My job is to be a manager. Not only that, but I am a development manager. This means I spend most of my time planning and executing to plan. I am writing as a form of relaxation. One thing I do not want to do is come home at night and follow the same process I follow at work.

To me, it is much more exciting to just sit down and see what my characters have been up to. Don't get me wrong, I know these people. I live with my characters twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. I know where they were born, where they grew up, who they dated in high school, what they like to eat, how they like to spend their time. I also know all the crap they have in their heads, the things they don't want anyone to know about, what makes them happy, what makes them sad. In less words, they are very real to me. I think about them at various times throughout the day as if I was thinking about a friend I haven't spoken to in a long time. Other times, like when I am writing, they consume my thoughts. There have been times that I have felt that I was channeling their emotions - wait - did I just say that? Uh...do I want to let you in...oh, that's right, full disclosure.


Tags: , , ,

Copyright (c) 2006 Paul Gavin. All rights reserved.

Comments on "My writing process"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

just let it flow from your pen. this is obviously a form of relaxation as well as mental therapy. any sort of writing is said to be therapeutic and can be cathartic. i admire your tenacity for persuing your dreams in becoming a writer!! you rock!!

 

post a comment